Balloon Sinuplasty - Preparation and Recovery
Before the Balloon Sinuplasty Procedure
Your sinus doctor will help you prepare for the balloon sinuplasty procedure to achieve the very best outcome. You’ll have a complete exam to be sure there are no conditions that would keep you from having the treatment. You’ll also likely have a CT Scan (similar to an X-ray) taken, as well as learn how you should prepare for your procedure in the weeks and days before.
During Balloon Sinuplasty
Balloon sinuplasty is a comfortable and simple in-office procedure that takes about one hour. Once you arrive for the procedure:
- Your nose will be sprayed with more decongestant and a local anesthetic to ensure your comfort.
- A small amount of another anesthetic will be applied on a gauze or pledget and placed on targeted areas.
- The gauze or pledget will be removed, and an anesthetic will be applied via injection, similar to a dental procedure numbing process.
- Within 30 minutes, the procedure will begin. A thin instrument with the balloon is guided through your nasal passages to your sinus.
- Once positioned, the balloon will be gently inflated with saline for five seconds and then deflated. You will feel a firm pressure and may hear a crackling sound.
- The balloon may be repositioned and inflated again.
- When your sinus is open, the instrument and balloon are removed.
How Long Does It Take to Recover From Balloon Sinuplasty?
Balloon sinuplasty, when done alone, gently opens your sinuses to restore normal drainage. Because it is a gentle procedure that does not involve cutting or rmoving tissue, recovery is quick, with most patients resuming normal activities the next day.i Questions that are often asked about recovery from balloon sinuplasty include:
How long will it take to get back to work?
Most people return to their normal activities, including work, the day after the procedure. There is typically no packing or stitches needed after the procedure, so there is no special wound care that must take place though the doctor will likely want to evaluate you after you have fully healed from the procedure.
How long will it take to feel normal again?
Many people who have balloon sinuplasty report great improvement in symptoms only a few weeks after the procedure, including clear nasal passages and easier breathing. Over time, people find that they no longer have to fight sinus infections or experience pressure that causes headaches and face pain.